Monday, January 4, 2016

We lost another life today. She was only nineteen years old

I awoke this morning to the sound of a helicopter circling above.  Living up Bouquet Canyon in the Angeles Forest, there are usually only a few reasons for this; either a brush fire or a car or motorcycle accident.

Tragically, this morning it was a car accident that once again took the life of a driver passing by. If you've ever driven up Bouquet Canyon Road through the Angeles Forest going to or from the Antelope Valley, you know that it is a beautiful, but treacherous route. Thankfully, cell phones don't work up here so there is no chance of someone texting or talking on their phone while trying to maneuver the hairpin turns.  There are no guard rails and few passing lanes. And there are no CHP vehicles to keep people honest.  It is a road that is completely out of control with fatal accidents occurring almost monthly and nonfatal accidents occurring weekly. And it is where my neighbors and I live, some of us part-time and others, year round.

Whenever I have to drive down the canyon and in to the Santa Clarita Valley I make sure that my things are in order. It's strange living some place where you have to confront your mortality in such a conscious way, but this is how I live, never knowing if I'm going to make it back alive.  And the frustrating part about it is, it doesn't have to be this way.

But, CHP blames the County. And the County blames the Forest Service. And the Forest Service blames the CHP... or the County. And it's enough to make you dizzy as you watch them all take turns stalling and making excuses for why nothing ever changes. Meanwhile more people die.

I suppose that the obvious answer would be to lower the speed limit, but when people drive slower it is too tempting for others who like to speed through the Forest to pass illegally, going over the double yellow lines, with curves and turns, at times every forty to fifty feet.  Most likely, there would probably be more accidents if the speed limit was lowered.

With the recent closing of Vasquez Canyon Road, Bouquet Canyon Road has seen a sharp increase of daily traffic. Add rain and ice to the mix and it is quite possible that there will be a record number of accidents on the road this winter.  Most of them aren't fatal but this morning we lost another young life. Her name was Elena Kramer and she lived in nearby Leona Valley.  I heard that she was on her way to sign up at College of the Canyons to play on their softball team. At nineteen years old, she had her whole life ahead of her. The road conditions weren't bad. No rain, no ice (although one reader has commented that he drove past the accident moments later and it was raining lightly). Perhaps a deer ran out in front of her car. Maybe she was changing the radio station and took her eyes off the road for a split second or someone else ran her off the road while trying to pass her. We'll never know. She died alone in her car while I was just waking up in bed less than a quarter mile away.

I didn't know her but I still care about her and her family. When I stood in silence for a moment at the scene, I said a prayer for  her. And I pray now for a solution to the larger issue too. Because I know that there will be another death soon. And I am fully aware that it could be me. So many times these past twelve years, driving on Bouquet Canyon Road, I've had such close calls.  And every time someone dies on this road, I stop and think, what can be done?  I'm no Civil Engineer. I'm not a Congress Woman or local Captain of the CHP.  I'm just one person, and I have little power.  Okay, I have no power...

But, if I did have the power to do something, this is what I would do:

GUARD RAILS -  Putting up guard rails on the sides of the road around the bends that have steep drops would help cars from plunging down in to the creek bed or the steep ravines.

MEDIAN GUARD BARRIERS - All the way through much of the Angeles Forest, a white cement barrier would stop drivers from drifting over the middle yellow line and right in to oncoming traffic.

SPEED BUMPS -  Before each residence (and there are over 100 cabins on Bouquet Canyon through the Forest) I would put in speed bumps that would cause drivers to have to slow down.

CAMERAS -  Cameras would  be motion censored to photograph all vehicles and monitor their speed. Several posted signs at the entrance to the Forest on either side would warn drivers that tickets will be sent through the mail to anyone caught speeding.

POLICE PRESENCE - Morning and evening commutes and weekends are the worst times to drive up and down the canyon.  This is when police presence needs to be stepped up.  If it's not in the current budget, it needs to be! No more excuses that "there just isn't the money for it".

In my opinion, L.A. County, CHP and the Forest Service each share in the responsibility for this young girl's death and the deaths of dozens of others throughout the years.  And each day that goes by where they do nothing and another person dies is, again, in my opinion a tragic failure on their parts to fix the problem of Bouquet Canyon in the Angeles Forest.

Who will be next?  It could be me. And if it is, at least I will have died knowing that I spoke out about the problem, instead of remaining silent once again.

Elena Kramer's 1999 Ford Mustang

Found near the accident scene. She loved to play softball

16 year old James Rodriguez died in August just 40 feet away

The worst part of their job. They would like to see changes made too


There is power in numbers: 

Please call the phone numbers below and let these agencies know that too many people are dying on Bouquet Canyon Road.  

  • U.S. FOREST SERVICE:  661/269-2808
  • CHP -  661/294-5540
  • COUNTY PUBLIC WORKS - 661/222-2940






30 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I am Elenas mother. I told her not to take that way! I went down San Fransquito. When I could not get a hold of her when I had service I knew something was wrong and sent my husband from Leona Valley as I headed up from Santa Carita. I have watched literally dozens of people pass on corners of double yellows there and wondered why the police never patrol that especially during the morning commute I will share this on my post and hopes that everyone will share and I will also do anything I can to make sure precautions are put in place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine and my daughter Josie Schank's thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Elena was a well loved girl to her fellow softball players. Kim Schank

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

      Delete
    3. So sorry for your loss. Prayers out to her family, friends and softball family. Prayers out to guide those who need to step up and help get some safety measures put in place quickly before another/many more unnecessary deaths occur.

      Delete
    4. So sorry for your loss. Prayers out to her family, friends and softball family. Prayers out to guide those who need to step up and help get some safety measures put in place quickly before another/many more unnecessary deaths occur.

      Delete
    5. Cassandra - I am so very sorry for your loss, for OUR loss - because your daughter belonged to the world too. She would've gone on to do amazing things, I have no doubt. Now, it's our turn to make sure that she did not die in vain. I am now in the process of setting up a meeting with the Forest Service, the County and the CHP. I would like to let you know when and where. If you could e-mail me with your contact information, I can keep you updated: j9art_music@yahoo.com My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

      Delete
    6. I am deeply so sorry for your loss. I know too many families who have their kids died on that road. CHP, Forest Services and County must take responsibilities and step up, not one agency is to blame but all. There was something that could of have been done to prevent one more death; if one agency stood up and did something about it. Thank You Janine, I will pray for your safety everyday and thanks for the awareness and what you are doing.

      Delete
    7. We are so sorry to hear about Elena. We will miss her at the events. I shared on my fb page.

      Delete
  2. Prayers of comfort to you and your family. Another angel in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers of comfort to you and your family. Another angel in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I Drive this canyon road every single week and day in and day out I see accidents all the time and to be honest I have helped multiple people either towing the car out of the ditch leaving it there and driving them to the hospital to just helping A broken down car stranded in the middle of the canyon as for I pray for the family of this young lady but your logic of speed bumps will not help the issue for the people that drive this canyon on the weekends just to cruise through will create problems for them cuz most of them are modified vehicles that are low and simply will not be able to get over the speed bumps could they up enforcement yes could they put more barriers yes barriers in the center will never happen the cost of that will be way too high and cameras on the road will not do justice because they are inaccurate its simply a problem with people driving too fast poor road conditions personally I think they need to repave the whole Canyon due to lifting of the road potholes and also rocks falling in the middle of the road I have personally hit giant boulders in the middle of the road but what this comes down to is people not paying attention in the canyon and lack of experience driving in the canyon like I said I Drive this canyon on the daily have I had my bad luck and the Canyon yes I have but it was because of myself not paying attention it had nothing to do with driving too fast for the speed limit of the road majority of the accidents that happened in this canyon or because of lack of experience driving a canyon and possible lack of good road conditions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, Thank you for posting your thoughts and concerns - and thank you for helping complete strangers on Bouquet Canyon Road. I actually agree with you about the speed bumps. It will never happen but I was making a wish list - kind of like if you'd wish for a Lamborghini for Christmas, knowing that you're not going to get it, but it's still nice to write it down ... any way - THANK YOU again. Well wises.

      Delete
    2. Oops - I mean well wishes - not 'wises' - though it's wise to send well wishes :)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. You know I Drive this canyon road every single week and day in and day out I see accidents all the time and to be honest I have helped multiple people either towing the car out of the ditch leaving it there and driving them to the hospital to just helping A broken down car stranded in the middle of the canyon as for I pray for the family of this young lady but your logic of speed bumps will not help the issue for the people that drive this canyon on the weekends just to cruise through will create problems for them cuz most of them are modified vehicles that are low and simply will not be able to get over the speed bumps could they up enforcement yes could they put more barriers yes barriers in the center will never happen the cost of that will be way too high and cameras on the road will not do justice because they are inaccurate its simply a problem with people driving too fast poor road conditions personally I think they need to repave the whole Canyon due to lifting of the road potholes and also rocks falling in the middle of the road I have personally hit giant boulders in the middle of the road but what this comes down to is people not paying attention in the canyon and lack of experience driving in the canyon like I said I Drive this canyon on the daily have I had my bad luck and the Canyon yes I have but it was because of myself not paying attention it had nothing to do with driving too fast for the speed limit of the road majority of the accidents that happened in this canyon or because of lack of experience driving a canyon and possible lack of good road conditions

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learn to drive in that Canyon, and I'm so grateful I did. Godspeed to the family and friends of this young lady such a tragedy I credit that Canyon to my driving skills. Plenty of close calls. Drive carefully friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. I am very sorry. I did not mean to imply in any way that she may have tried to use her phone. And my apologies to you and anyone out there who may have taken that statement the wrong way. I can only speak from my own experience. Sometimes I'll see a deer or animal and pull out my phone to take a photo - or try to take video while driving down the canyon... but, this is MY bad habits - which I will refrain from doing from now on - I did not mean to imply that I thought she may have been doing this sort of thing. Once again, my utmost apologies. Thank you for posting your thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Of course it was not intentional on your part, but it can be misinterpreted. Thanks for your sensitivity and I hope something good comes of the issues you raised.

      Delete
  8. Janine,I want to thank you for posting this ... please keep me updated. My heart shattered into a million and one pieces when I heard the news of Elena. Cassandra and I have been friends since the 5th grade! I agree this is nothing short of senseless. Please keep me informed and updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy, Thank you for writing. I am so very sorry for what you must be going through as a friend of Elena's and her mother. But, I do know that your being there for Cassandra is more of a comfort to her than you may realize. She needs you right now more than ever. Give her the hugs that the rest of us can't. And YES, I will keep you informed as I gather more strength and confidence to move forward myself. I'm now in the process of getting representatives from each of the agencies mentioned above to come together for a meeting. So far I have the commitment of one out of three. I'm a pretty stubborn gal so I won't stop until this meeting happens!

      Delete
  9. Janine,I want to thank you for posting this ... please keep me updated. My heart shattered into a million and one pieces when I heard the news of Elena. Cassandra and I have been friends since the 5th grade! I agree this is nothing short of senseless. Please keep me informed and updated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janine I will contact you and just for the record my daughter has driven that road a million times to her fathers house in Santa Clarita. She was a good driver for her age always took her time. She was not on the phone. For some reason she went into the opposite lane. Possibly to avoid a car passing or something else , we will never know and it no longer matters. The question is how do we help others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra, I just wanted to apologize and let you know that I took the sentence out about being on the phone, but I would also like to confess that I myself have used my phone in other ways while driving even with no cell service. Once I wanted to take a video of my route to show my parents who've never seen Bouquet Canyon how beautiful the area was. So I drove while video-taping with my phone in one hand! Another time, it was a bright pink sunset that I wanted to take a photo of so I whipped out my phone and slowed down... PLEASE PEOPLE, DON'T DO WHAT I HAVE DONE! Any way, I just want to apologize again. And I agree - what can be done now? We just have to keep the dialogue going until changes are made.

      Delete
  11. Cassandra, I know that nothing I say can relieve the grief you are experiencing. Having grown up next door to the Stowe family and hearing how difficult accepting Elena's tragic loss has been to so many in the family that knew her, I know she was a very special young lady. I came very close to losing a daughter and can only imagine what utter pain envelopes you right now. As shallow as it seems and so rhetorical in our society, I will hold your daughter's loss close to my heart as I pray for comfort beyond what either one of us can imagine to get you through each day one step at a time. Although this is premature at this point you are free to contact me through the Stowe family for I have a dear friend who leads a local grief group who himself lost his wife and both parents within less than a year. Thank you for sharing your heart at this time and being very familiar with Bouquet Cyn I too trust that Elena's loss will create changes that will save others. Gary Hammond

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janine, I live off of San Francisquito Canyon Road and have the same concerns you do. Thanks for your post and my condolences go out to all the families who have lost loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie, thank you for writing. YES, San Francisquito Canyon is also a troublesome area. When this meeting is set up I will let you know so that you can attend and put some focus on that area as well. Stay safe. Stay focused. Two hands on the wheel. Hug the white line and stay away from the yellow lines in the middle! (This is my little mantra!)

      Delete
  13. I drive this road every day to and from work unless it is closed down due to weather conditions. I actually pass this scene 5 minutes after it happen, for the record the road was wet there was light rain falling. I've avoided accident after accident, from people driving in crazy speed and always in a rush. I am not a forensic scientist but from the damage on the car it is very doubtful that the driver was going the posted speed limits that sometime vary from 25-35 miles per hour. I am deeply sorry for your loss, I truly am. I've been cut off by drivers on this road, I even had one driver run the stop from Vasquez Cyn (When it was open) on to Bouquet Cyn. Thankfully I was going at adequate speed was able to control my car and avoid a very serious accident. On this road you must always be alert keep your eye on the road and be aware of your surroundings. There are speed limits posted to be followed not to be ignored, but only about 5% of the drivers that take these roads care enough to obey them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing. The information about the road conditions will be noted and added to the blog. Stay safe, and yes, defensive driving is important on all roads, but especially Bouquet Canyon!

      Delete