Wednesday, September 7, 2016

To dream, perchance to dream some more

Somehow I never got that message -- the one that says,  "You only get one chance in life, kid, and that's it!"  I've never been one to have just one goal or dream!  I tend to have several of them spinning at once in my little head and heart.  And I suppose they won't stop spinning until I leave this world behind or until I run out of life-force energy.

That's not to say that I don't get bummed out when a dream of mine doesn't come to fruition.  It's pretty heartbreaking in fact. That's why it's all the more important to have another one waiting on the sidelines!

Dreams are a funny thing. Some days they are alive and well, then suddenly and unexpectedly on another day -- dead in the water!  The sun always comes back out though and when it does I'm ready to give it another go! Because making dreams come true is part of what life's all about.  At least for me.

Being a dreamer can be distracting and annoying for those around you.  (Here's where I have to apologize to my friends and family who have endured my pipe dreams and half spun crazy schemes for decades now -- Sorry 'bout that!)

If I have any advice for anyone out there pursuing their dreams I would say that it's important to try to stay grounded in the real world while doing so.  Watch your budget - don't over-use your credit card or ask for big loans from family and friends (unless they have more money than they know what to do with).  Do your best to dream responsibly!

I'm a believer in age appropriate dreaming too.  I don't think it's realistic to dream of making the major leagues as a ball player and just getting started at the age of fifty, or hoping to become a ballerina at forty. Having unrealistic dreams is a set-up for misery!

As I grow older I really try to merge my dreams with helping others in some way. As an example, I love to paint and sell my art, so collaborating with others and painting something for them that is truly meaningful takes me outside of myself and my orbit, which is a good thing because I get pretty tired of orbiting around my dumb self!

Living in a very dry and fire prone area of California during a five year drought has been a real drag and very anxiety provoking, but it has also been oddly productive.  It has somehow lit a fire in my psyche as I realize that nothing lasts forever.  Any day could be our last. No time to waste!  Thoughts like these motivate me to get off my ass and do things that I would normally keep putting off.

One of those things has been to publish several short stories that I've written over the years. This past month I've made it a goal to re-write some of them, write a few new ones, edit them and get them out there! With the help of Amazon.com (Thank you Jeff Bezos!) I can check another dream off of my list  -- I am now a published author!  Through CreateSpace, which is the print publishing branch of Amazon.com, I learned how to format my book and create a cover for it, making it available not only as an e-book but a physical old fashioned paperback that can be held in your hands or used to swat flies with!

I am excited to announce that this book of short stories (13 tales in all) is now available!! The first story can be read for free by clicking on one of the links below.

And if by chance, you feel as though your dreams are behind you -- or that it's too late -- or you're too old -- or you don't have enough money -- or... (fill in the blank here  _______________), please consider dreaming a new dream.  It's not hard to do. There's no one but yourself to stop you from growing a new dream in your heart and in your mind.  Life is meant to be lived and experienced and it is a gift, so please don't waste time with excuses or procrastination techniques. Fires can start anywhere!  I hope I've helped to light one in your imagination to keep on dreaming -- and dreaming -- and yep, perchance to dream some more!




No comments:

Post a Comment