Monday, March 14, 2011

The Middle Path


I just got back from Palm Springs where we went to the BNP Tennis Tournament at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.  It was a great weekend - the weather was perfect and we saw Maria Sharapova play against Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain. Maria won!  It was an exciting match. 

Way back in high school and college I played tennis and I remember my coach telling me to get back to the middle of the court after each play, always go back to the center base line to await the next shot.  And, as I watched the girls playing from my vantage point, I could see how they were striving for that same goal, however, it's not always easy to get back to that place.

And, then I thought about Buddha and his teaching of the middle way - that path between extremes.  It's something I try to do in my own life.  Not too big or too skinny!  Nor a carnivore or a Vegan.  Not too drunk or too sober! Too rich or too poor.  It seems as though I've followed these principles for a while and watching the tennis match last Saturday night reminded me of the importance of sticking to the middle path whenever possible. 

I mentioned this philosophy to my Dad once - who leans far to the right in politics. He said that the middle path is for people who don't have the courage to take a stand. He described these types as being wishy washy.  I guess he didn't get the concept, or perhaps I didn't explain it well enough.  The way I see it, the middle path is where you have a bird's eye view of both sides - or several sides of a situation.  It's not a final landing place, it's a place to perch and meditate and study your surroundings.  And, after you've gathered the knowledge to make a wise decision or conclusion then you fly to your final destination, whether it be to the left or to the right at any given time and then you return to center until the next situation comes along. 

If you've ever played a game of tennis you'll know that anybody who lingers too far to the right or to the left of the court will only be able to hit a limited amount of balls.  And, when your opponent knows where you always stand, it's real easy for them to switch their strategy and hit the ball to the other side of the court over and over again until they've won the game. I suppose the game of life works that way too.

I don't play tennis much any more.  I miss playing the game but I'm more of a spectator now that I'm in my 'middle' ages.

1 comment:

  1. This is great and very insightful, I really enjoyed reading it.

    ~D

    ReplyDelete